St. John's College Class Agent Program
To help deepen and expand alumni engagement by strengthening the bond between the College and its permanent members. This program is a signature effort in the Alumni Association's collaboration with the College to sustain the Program.
The Class Chair's Play Book:
- Keep classmates connected with the college by informing them of current issues at St. John's and providing feedback to the college regarding classmates' interests and concerns through a variety of media depending on comfort level (Facebook, LinkedIn, phone, email, personal notes, etc.).
- Serve as a Reunion Chair during reunion years, working closely with classmates to assist the Alumni Office with the planning of reunion seminar or any celebratory events.
- Encourage classmates to submit class notes via NetCommunity. The College staff will share in the celebration of alumni successes through various communications such as alumni profile and expanded stories.
- Make attendance at one (at least) College sponsored event a priority, e.g., Alumni Leadership Forum (ALF), Admissions Reception, Class Chair training during the Alumni Leadership Forum, as well as periodic conference calls for more in-depth training on new projects.
- Promote the importance of alumni giving by understanding the purpose of The Fund for St. John's, making a gift each fiscal year at a level that is personally significant, encourage general financial support for St. John's among peers.
- Thank classmates for their volunteer and/or financial support of St. John's through handwritten notes, personal emails, Facebook messages, or phone calls.
- Work with staff to identify classmates as reunion volunteers, future or replacement Class Chairs, major gift prospects or other leadership roles at St. John's.
How the College's Alumni and Annual Giving Offices team up with the Class Chair:
- Provide classmates' contact information and giving history where appropriate.
- Provide monthly updates and advanced notice of college events, and news.
- Administer a "class updates" email address for alumni to send in biographical information, news, and other alumni feedback.
- Assist with special projects like videos, archival photo retrieval, event planning, reunion, etc.
- Provide periodic training via conference calls and at ALF to assist Class Chairs with strategies for contacting peers, staying connected through social media and letter writing.
- Assist in printing and mailing (and writing if requested) solicitation letters written by Class Chairs.
The Time Commitment:
Participation as a Class Chair need not be all that time consuming. It truly is meant to be a simple flexible program that each class agent can design to suit their schedule and can be done from the comfort of their own office, home or while traveling from their PDA. For example, in 30 minutes a class Facebook page can be set up and an email distribution list created. (Not fluent with Facebook? No worries. College staff is here to assist with this simple process). In just 10 minutes a month a specialized email from the college to all Class Chairs with advanced notice of events and on-going initiatives can be read and then forwarded to classmates, or some of the information posted to the class Facebook page. For the really ambitious, personal calls can be made to relay information to peers or personalized notes sent. The time commitment will range from a minimum of 10 minutes to a maximum of an hour or so a month, depending on how much time each Class Chair wants to invest.
Term of Service: One Year